No blender needed!
- 2 cups of shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 4 cups water
This recipe is so essential to me and I know it is to everyone. When I figured out how to make my own coconut milk I was relieved to know I never had to buy another can of coconut milk again.
I always disliked the taste that came from the canned version, and making my own obviously feels so much healthier.
This is so easy to do that it’s not even question in my mind.
Use this coconut milk in your cooking, baking, our just drink it alone.
- In a pot bring water almost to a boil. Or till you start to see small bubbles forming.
- Place the shredded coconut in a large bowl.
- When the water is ready pour it into the bowl with the coconut and let sit till it’s at room temperature.
- Using clean hands, knead the coconut in the water. Do this for about a minute.
- Dampen the cheesecloth and lay it over another large bowl. Slowly pour the coconut mixture over the cheesecloth making sure nothing spills over. Collect all the edges of the cloth and squeeze the milk into the new bowl. Make sure you get all or as much of the liquid separated from the coconut.
- Pour the milk into a large mason jar, and there you have your coconut milk.
- Save the shredded coconut for another use like baking.
- It can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.