Before one bakes, he/she needs different types of ingredients to make a wonderful bakery.
The following are the baking ingredients.
- BUTTER: There are various types of butter but they are very expensive and scarce in our local market but can be found in the big super markets. They are imported butter when used it gives a very good taste and good result.
- MARGARINE: Margarine is the type found in the market and they are of various types.
Best and good margarine: this type of margarine are the best, they can give best result in baking e.g summer county, true vine margarine etc
Semi Good Margarine: These are also good but not as the above e.g. Topper, Romi, clematis, Rosa. These are widely used in the country (Nigeria)
Bad Margarine: These are the types of margarine that are not too good for baking e.g simas, turkey, blue band etc. these are not consistence but they are good for Jollof rice.
- SUGAR: The sugar used for baking is called granduated sugar, dangote granduated sugar is the only one in the market now and it is good for baking.
- FLOUR: There are good and semi good flour for baking in the market and they are
Good Flours: these are types of flour are light and gives good results. Examples are Honeywell or supreme and supreme gold flour. The supreme gold flour is made from South Africa and is not available in the market now so you can go for Honeywell or supreme flour made in Nigeria.
Semi Good Flour: These are not as good as Honeywell and supreme flour e.g. golden penny flour which is also better than dangote flour. The reason while this flour is not good is that when kept for a long time. It hardens up and has some insects.
NOTE: one brand of flour is lighter and closer to the cake flour we are meant to use which is the supreme and honeywell, while the other brand such as golden penny is best for dough product such as bread, doughnut and the likes because it yields more and have higher volume of gluten
- BAKING POWDER: Baking powder is a raising agent that makes your mixture to rise, too much of it makes cake too dry.
- BI- CARBONATE OF SODA: This is also known as baking soda and it makes flour to light when used.
- EGGS: Eggs is also a raising agent that makes mixture to raise. It is wise to use medium size of eggs for cake baking instead of the big & small size to get accurate measurement and always use fresh eggs.
- CAKE SPICES: There are various types of spices e.g cinnamon spices, nutmeg etc the most preferable type above is the cinnamon spice but both can be combined together to use in cake mixture
9 FLAVOURS: There are many types of flavours and each are suitable for different mixture for instance we can combine some flavours together for cake except lime flavor because of it high / harsh taste
*(COMBINATION OF FLAVOURS*
Strawberry /Butter Scotch
Vanilla Essence / Butter Scotch
Vanilla Essence / Strawberry
Coconut / Butter Scotch
10. DARKENING AGENT
Browning / Black treacle /Cocoa powder/Chocolate: All these are darkening agent, they are good but last after taste which is bitter, so we need cake sweetening agent to make the cake sweet that why golden syrup is used as sweetener.
11. CAKE SWEETNER: Golden syrup is a cake sweetener, we use it when using darkening agent because of it bitter taste, there are some cake also that need golden syrup, these are cakes that crumbles when you cut them so to avoid the crumbling we use golden syrup to bind the cake mixture
12. FRUITS: These are dried fruits which contain various types of fruits that is why it’s called mixed fruits and before it is used or put inside cake mixture it should be soaked in brandy
*WHY DO WE SOAK FRUIT*
1. To make the fruits soft
2. To make the fruit to stay long so that it will not spoil (preservative), fruit should be soaked in brandy for a period of 8hrs.
*IF FRUIT IS NOT SOAK*
i. The fruit will settle in the bottom of your mixture
ii. The fruits will be hard and get spoil on time
A. BRANDY: There are various brandy that you can use but the preferable types are 501, squadron, merit brandy e.t.c.